The Paradox uses the marginal gains concept not just for speed, but also for comfort. Why is comfort important? Obviously you want to feel comfortable when riding, but smoothness also affects performance. Vertical vibrations rob you of momentum and reduce control, they also reduce your body’s ability to deliver power efficiently. Remember you are the engine on a bike, if you are not working efficiently, then neither is your bike.
The need for speed
- The frame can be specified to work with tyres up to 28mm or 35mm, the choice is yours. Paradoxically, larger tyres (within reason) roll faster without adding significant extra weight. The smoother ride they offer preserves momentum by reducing vibration. http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/conti-gp4000s-ii-23-25-28 shows that the 28mm Continental Grand Prix 4000S II rolls faster than either of its smaller siblings.
- Large diameter chain stays that are increase lateral rigidity giving the bike superb climbing ability and acceleration.
- dropouts further help create a laterally stiff rear triangle by providing a large weld and mitre area.
- The finest Grade 9 3AL 2.5V Seamless Double Butted Titanium is renowned for lightness, and durability. Our frame weighs just 1350 grams but will last as long as you do.
- Precisely mitred joints. Our tubes are precisely cut, allowing the One of the current trends with titanium frames is to polish the welds until they are smooth. This is in fact a good way of hiding mediocre welding! With our frames you can see each beautiful weld in all its glory, like perfectly overlapping fish scales. Welding of this quality is only achieved by a craftsman with decades of experience. We leave our welds raw, as we have nothing to hide. to create a joint that is not only stronger but neater as well. This gives the frame that added snap when accelerating and a great ability to climb.
- Subtle tube shaping of the main tube increases lateral stiffness. We do When you squeeze a round tube into an oval you strengthen it in one axis but weaken it in the other. Therefore, it’s vital that a balance is made between deforming the tube to create a joint that is stiffer in the specific plane desired and loss of strength in other planes. Our tube shaping is driven by the need to create a super bike, not by a marketing department. .
- 560/600mm straight handlebars (particularly when used with bar ends) open up the rider’s chest and enable them to breath deeper and thus take on more oxygen. This is particularly noticeable on the climbs.
- Titanium does not lose its performance over time, so your bike stays as It is reputed that some pro riders ditch their carbon frames after just one month, as they start to lose their edge. Ti just keeps on going. as the day you bought it.
Comfort and Control
- The frame can be specified to use We recommend: Schwalbe Pro One 28mm tubeless. These weigh in at just 290g and inflate up to an actual 30mm of speed and comfort.. The extra volume these tyres give not only provides more comfort, but also greater control and grip.
- By not overinflating your tyres you will transform the ride, grip and comfort of your bike. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. See our recommended tyre pressure for more information.
- The frame is made out of compliant titanium. Titanium is still the best material for making a bike frame. Its legendary speed and comfort are renowned, as is its longevity.
- The compact frame The top tube slopes down as it travels from the head tube towards the saddle. results in significantly more seat post being extended from the frame. This allows it to flex slightly and help take the edge off any impacts. By using a smaller diameter 27.2mm seat post we have increased this comfort advantage even further.
- Straight handlebars. The extra width of these bars provides more flex and helps reduce buzz to the hands. Getting numb hands on your drop bars? Try the Paradox.
- Caliper brakes. How can brakes make a difference to comfort? Quite simply, disc brakes require the frame and the forks to be stronger (and thus heavier). This extra material makes the bike ride more harshly - disc brakes can be specified as an option if you prioritise braking power over comfort.
When you put all the above together you have a bike that is super fast, agile, precise, controllable and super smooth.
- A hand built British bike is a thing of beauty. The unpainted titanium tubes have a classy gun metal finish that does not chip like paint. Everywhere it goes it gets the same response; wow, what’s that!
- The compact frame style, with sloping top tube, is particularly friendly to women cyclists.
- Titanium does not rust or corrode.
- Stand out from the crowd – ride a bike that is not only different, but different because it was designed by a cyclist, and not a When a well-respected independent bike company was taken over by a big manufacturer, the new owner is rumoured to have asked: “It seems to us that you just built bikes that you wanted to ride.” The founder is said to have responded “Of course I just built bikes I wanted to ###### ride.” Your spirit lives on, brother..
- A smooth ride results in less rider fatigue. This in itself means you cycle faster, further and enjoy it more.
- Comfort and control are inextricably linked, if a bike is not comfortable then it's going to be harder to control.
- The frame comes with a lifetime warranty.